Saturday, February 8, 2014

Winter Then and Now

I found some pictures of our kinder, gentler snowfall back at Christmas.  
It just looks so much nicer than our current snow.

 We only had a few inches and it didn't last very long.

What a difference a blue sky makes!

 This is a serious icicle.

I found a little shrew in the hangar and turned it loose. Then I caught another one in the hangar.  Set it free as well, hoping there wasn't a nest of orphaned shrews remaining inside.


 Number one.

Number two.

He's going under the back porch.

The second one wandered a bit then also went under the porch.
A few days later on the way to the mailbox I saw teeny tiny tracks in the snow.  I imagine it was a mouse, vole or shrew.





It has to be dangerous to be on top of the snow like that. 
There are so many owls and hawks around here. 
Sometimes you just have to stay below the snow...

And then today I saw evidence of an attack from the air.  Nothing was left but the disturbed areas...


 Bird tracks!

 Crime Scene 2 and 3.

Maybe the wings or tail feathers made these circles?

I was surprised to see the attack happened during the day.  I now understand that I have to be really careful letting Maggie outside even in the daytime. She is about the size of a rabbit and would be easy to carry off.  She has been wearing her blue sweater, but managed to go out without it today.  I stayed right beside her, and hoped she blended into the driveway.  Yorkie camouflage.


We both have cabin fever.  I didn't leave the house today. 
 I think we are getting more snow tomorrow. Can't wait!

3 comments:

  1. Maggie looks cold. I'd like to say the pics are pretty, but I am so SICK of snow. I know I'm extremely lucky to be able to just stay indoors and goof off--I'd probably be an extremely bitchy maniac if I had to drive in it daily to work, or have to deal with kids messy snowboots and wet clothing for months on end.
    I've never seen underground snow tracks, but I think we have those same shrew creatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She stayed outside long enough to pee then ran back inside. We don't linger when it is so brutally cold.
      Woke up this morning to hear the heater go out. Repairman coming in the morning. Meanwhile it is down to 60 degrees inside. I have the fireplace going and the heater out in the hangar. Oh, and the oven. Figured it was time to bake that frozen pie I have had for so long. Rod won't know if I eat the whole thing.

      Those are short tailed shrews. I thought they were voles, but voles look more like field mice. One time I caught one in the living room and took it outside. It doesn't seem the same as a mouse, not being a rodent. Those from the hangar were funny. Rod discovered it and called me. I caught it and took it outside. I said there was probably another one nearby. About five min later I saw one running around his feet. If he had stepped he would have squished it. Freeze, I yelled. Caught that one. I could just hear her saying, " Please sir, can you help me find my husband? He was here just a few min ago!" They were reunited under the porch. And probably back inside a few min later!

      Delete
  2. Update> Got down to 47 in the house. Temporarily fixed. Back to 57 after running 6 hrs.
    Had to throw away the pie I baked. It tasted like cardboard. I checked the date on the box...2012. No wonder.
    Made brownies instead.

    ReplyDelete