Sunday, April 7, 2013

Pelican Place Part 2, The Drilling Rig Museum

The museum awaits...


Everything you always wanted to know about drilling for oil.
 The plexiglass domes are near tv screens, and they focus the sound to a spot directly under them.  
If you stand under the dome, you can hear the audio portion perfectly.

 There are several areas for photo opportunities.
Like this thing, that I suspect moves workers around...

 I  point out the "it's ok to stand on this" sign to everyone.

Ray and Pat take a turn.

Large scary looking remote controlled underwater robot.
 Well, this will likely be appearing in a future nightmare.

One of the many models depicting a variety of drilling rigs.


You have to look closely to see the drilling platform in grey at the top of this model.
 This particular rig sits on the ocean floor and is taller than the Empire State Building.



Oh, I love this...

It takes special people to work on these rigs.

The museum is much more interesting than I can show here.
There are three floors of exhibits, plus two outside levels to explore.






And THAT will make you dizzy!

Christmas Tree

There is so much to look at, both inside and outside the museum.  
This looking down on an escape pod that holds 28 people.  

Back on shore you can see the escape pod  just to the left of the name.



Thank you, Ray and Pat for bringing us here!


I am not actually falling here.  I am sitting down on a large post that you can't see!

This was a lot of fun but now I am thinking about the pelicans again. 

We will rejoin them in Part Three.

1 comment: