Sunday, September 25, 2016

Clouds and Sunsets

Looking through my photos, it seems that at least half of them are sky pictures.
These are from this summer...

I love the cloud highlights. 
 This next one is a little ominous though...It's a few days later, same scene.


Two hours later it looked like this...
I'm so glad we have weather radar so we can tell if the approaching storm is going to be a big one, or just a fast moving storm.


  Same storm.
 No rain, which was a relief.

The left door on the first hangar in the above photo is our Stearman hangar. We all enjoy watching sunsets from there.
This simple sunset would be very tricky as a watercolor graded wash.



A few weeks ago, Grandma H and Craig came for a short visit.  We had a great time and wound up watching the sunset one night.


Just a little past sunset.
This storm moved to the east, fortunately for us.

Mammatus clouds




Sometimes Rod and Ross get in the pictures of the sky.

 Rod called me out one morning at 6:30 to see a rainbow.
Left side to the south in our neighbors' yard.
 Right side to the west in our other neighbors' yard.
  It got brighter as the sun came up.
 Then a little bit of rain joined in.
 I caught the reflection in the pond,

and then was able to actually see the violet in the rainbow. I seem to always have trouble with violet.
I moved to a new spot and got a wider view.

A few seconds later a second rainbow is visible! 


 That dark band in between the two is called Alexander's Band.




The right side vanished into the blue sky.

One last look.
As I was working on this blog tonight, Rod alerted me to another beautiful sunset. 
I grabbed my camera and raced outside.











Another day in Kansas.


  

3 comments:

  1. Wow!!! These are so amazing! I'm getting gypped!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. I'm still startled when we drive back to Texas and I realize how little of the sky I see here. It's one of the things Walt mentioned about Kansas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it is so flat right here that I can see all directions pretty easily. I'm told that sunrises are just as lovely but I sleep thru most of those.

    ReplyDelete