Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Next Year's Daylilies

Happy day! I made it to this year's sale by the local daylily club.
  It is something I look forward to every year.
I finally have everything planted and wanted to show what I am looking forward to next year.
These photos are from the internet, as all I have now are small plants.
Bridgeton Calligraphy. 
It is a prolific bloomer with up to 25 buds per branch.
The blossoms are six inches across.
Love how understated it is. 
 
Little Fruit Cup
This delicate flower is four and a half inches, a short, early season nocturnal bloomer
 (which opens late in the day and remains open overnight until the following mid day).
I could just eat it up.

Without Warning
This lovely creamsicle daylily is another smaller sized beauty (4.5 inches).
I love the burgundy eye and ruffled edges.
 
 I Can Only Imagine
I can't wait to see this 39 inches tall,  huge 6.5 inch blossom. 
I imagine it will be impressive.
It might be my favorite.

Satinique
With a 5 inch bloom, this purple pleaser has a surprise.
It is fragrant! Who knew??
 
Idiot Philanthropist
A newer daylily, from 2013, has a 6.25 inch flower.
The hybridizer (with a sense of humor?) has it listed for $75.
Since I paid ten, there must be a back story...  
 
  Pirate's Promise
 This 5.5 inch daylily is a rebloomer.
Lavender and dark purple!
This may turn out to be my favorite..
.I just can't take my eyes off of it.
 
Pirate's Ransom
Six inch blossoms with a purple edge on the heavy ruffle.
I love ruffles. It demands to be looked at.
 
 Licorice Candy
This may be my real favorite...it's short and has small 4 inch blossoms 
but produces up to 35 blooms per stalk.  Also the most susceptible to the cold.
Will require lots of mulch this winter. I can't wait to see it. 

There is another that I cannot find a photo of. 
Last to the Buffet Line has a 5 inch peach flower with a purple eye and edge.
It might turn out to be the best of all!
 
These are like children. How can you pick your favorite?
 I hope that all of these survive, thrive and bless me with tons of flowers.
We'll find out next summer!!



 

 



 

 

2 comments:

  1. My favorites are the pirate ones. Do you keep a detailed map so you can tell them all apart? And the Idiot Philanthropist, just because of the name. Wonder what the story is behind it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these colors! I'm tired of the same old yellow and orange around here.

    ReplyDelete