After recently hearing about the Cornell glass museum, I remembered this rather interesting glass store a few miles down the road from us in the little town of Kechi.
Maybe I can get some motivation to work on some more sandblasted pieces.
This is part of the front door of the business. Around the store are other sandblasted ocean scenes.
Notice the Christmas lights hanging on the outside.
Lots of similar things to the Cornell museum, on a much smaller/cheaper scale...
Jellyfish!
Ceiling hangy-down thingies!
Glass Sculptures!
And by now I am very conscious of my purse hanging over my shoulder. I really don't want to break anything in this store. Everything seems precariously displayed.
Large Fish
I am afraid my elbows will knock over one of these vases.
At least these are flat on the table...
Now I worry that I am having premonitions of a disaster, and consider that maybe I have been in this store long enough. My purse strap falls off my shoulder and I gasp as I grab it.
One of the employees sees me and laughs, saying, "Don't worry so much."
Could these be famous last words?
And then the bulls arrive; a family with two young children.
They are wandering around the store, looking and touching, with no one properly supervising.
They move to the very expensive collection of lovely kaleidoscopes.
A sign very clearly says to ask for help if you want to look at them. In other words, please don't mess with these unless we are with you. But the children ignore the sign.
I am watching from across the room, thinking that this is an accident just waiting to happen.
The father finally notices the kids picking up kaleidoscopes and cautions them to not touch.
Then he turns around and runs right into a large piece of sandblasted sculpture!
Crash! The dolphins frolicking in the waves are now history.
The ultra mellow employees glide over to the pile of broken glass and begin to pick up the pieces.
The father feels really bad and keeps apologizing. They tell him to not worry but he looks terrible.
And then his smartypants wife asks if she needs to hold HIS hand (even though she was not holding the children's hands until afterwards).
I just have to know how much that piece costs...
The price tag is right on top.... Oh, no worries. Only five hundred and fifty dollars!!
So was it a premonition or just inevitable?
I couldn't work in that place. I'd be nervous and make people pay for what they broke.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe how mellow the employees were, even after the accident.
ReplyDeleteI love the jellyfish! Those all do look just like the stuff in Corning.
ReplyDelete