A while back I tagged along with a friend who had to make a trip to St. Louis.
I hadn't been there in a long time, so I really enjoyed the trip.
Hard to believe anyone would look forward to leaving this behind.
We stayed overnight in a hotel near downtown St. Louis.
You can see the Arch in the distance.
Having accomplished our mission, we headed back home the next morning, but made a detour through the historic district of St. Charles.
I used to love to hang out there, prowling through all the antique shops, quilt shops and gift shops.
It looked about the same, but with more traffic parked on the road now. I don't remember anyone parking on the cobblestone street twenty two years ago.
It seems to have lost some of its quaintness and charm with all of the vehicles.
I was a little disappointed to see the newer looking buildings. To be fair, we were a few blocks down from the oldest, most historic part of town. We came up this far to have lunch. Maybe the howling wind and cold temperature took off some of the glow from my memories. I'd like to go back when it is warmer, and stroll around the older parts again.
This would be fun in the summer, overlooking the St. Charles river behind the restaurant.
As a matter of fact, the back sides of the businesses look more interesting than the street side... The river is directly behind me in this photo...
River view
I should have gotten a shot of the nice park along the river's edge. That's where they have the Festival of the Little Hills each year.
We took the route back home through the Branson area.
I bet this is a busy place during the summer!
We took another detour through the state park.
They were not afraid of us.
This end of the lake is pretty...
Sign on the side of a park building...
Well, that's good to know!
Time to head on home... can't take photos in the dark!
I'd really like to go back in the summer.
No comments:
Post a Comment