Saturday, April 30, 2016

Welcome to Kansas


Walt visited Kansas last summer and came to see us on a couple of weekends.

 Rod couldn't wait to take him for a Stearman ride.

Getting ready to take off...
 Smoke on!
Have a good flight!
I waited around for a while and then they returned...
I think he enjoyed the flight.

Checking out the banner we can't read...

 We are always staring into the sun in my photos!
Moving it back out of the way...
I knew I would miss Walt when I took him back to Manhattan on Sunday.
On our return trip we stopped in Council Grove to see the historic jail. 
 This didn't seem too secure, but it was creepy.
 Up the road, there's an old farm that I have watched deteriorate for years.
 I've always wanted to look inside of it, but never have. But now I have Walt with me!

Little roof-less house on the prairie...
 We went over a gate, by the silo and barn that had collapsed last year, and approached the old house while keeping a sharp eye out for rattlesnakes.
I wish I could have seen it with a roof. Especially when it was new.
Everything was made out of limestone back then. There are several quarries around here.
Peeking thru a back window...
 Just a little remains of the ceiling...
Plaster and Lath walls and ceilings I see.
I think this was the back door...

Back side of the stairway but I couldn't get a shot of the stairs.
 I'm puzzled by these pieces of wood on the wall.  Looks more like mis-located baseboards.
We noticed we had gotten the attention of the herd of cattle behind the house. 
 They started coming to check us out, so we took off back to the gate.

Brave Explorer! I was so glad he was with me!

 Peering around the silo, she gave us the message to keep out. 
 We listened. We got over the gate before the rest showed up.

Back in Manhattan, we caught up with Lindsey who was visiting friends.

I remember when they were the same size.
I know Walt was happy to get back home, but we really enjoyed having him visit us!

2 comments:

  1. You need an EMF device and a spirit box when you go to those places. Lindsey looks extra short,lol. And look how much weight he's lost in a year! It's scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That old house didn't seem scary. More like peacefully asleep.

    ReplyDelete