Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Just In The Nick Of Time


I noticed a large puddle remaining in the ditch yesterday.  Close examination revealed several fish were still alive and were obviously trapped by the shrinking puddle.  Sharon to the rescue!

With my trusty net and bucket, I managed to save about 20 little fish of varying size and species, in addition to nine wonderful bullfrog tadpoles.  I spent a long time making sure everyone made it out of the ditch.

I threw the fish back in the pond and played with the tadpoles for a while.  The smallest one could fit in my palm.  The largest one was about 7 inches long.  I wish I could have kept them and watched them turn into bullfrogs, but I know it takes up to a year and I don't want to keep them that long!

They were precious little creatures, all slippery and squishy.  They had fat little bodies that felt like water balloons, with long wide tails.  There was little resemblance to the bullfrogs they will be someday, except for their eyes.



Little legs are growing... but no arms yet!

I checked back today and the puddle had dried up.


2 comments:

  1. I love the last picture. I wonder what he was thinking while you were playing with him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear God, I hope this doesn't eat me.

    ReplyDelete