Thursday, April 26, 2012

Peaceful Evening

 The light at the end of the day fascinates me. This time it didn't let me down.

The irises are blooming.  These look a bit shy, like they are playing peekaboo behind their blue aprons.  I know there is something behind those arching petals...


These are not giving up their secrets either...

 Notice the grass in the back ground.  I am exaggerating even calling it grass.  My yard is so full of weeds that the only resemblance to grass is the color green.  Remember my dandelion photo?
 It looks better after it gets mowed, but it is still pathetic...


 Now let's compare my yard to THIS...

I'm not sure why I am standing on one foot, but THIS grass is amazing! This is my next door neighbor's yard, a thick and healthy lawn that you will never find one single weed in... Can you imagine looking over this yard into my collection of weeds, weeds, and more weeds? 
No leaves either! Does he vacuum it at night?

It's hard to believe they still speak to me, isn't it?  My neighbor has mowers and tractors with assorted attachments.  He also has a sprinkler system, and he fertilizes regularly.  And yet from a distance our yards are the same color... 


 It's Miller time....  miller moths, that is.  They are everywhere right now.  Hiding in the grass, swarming in the trees and trying really hard to get inside my house.
There were at least 30 moths in this picture alone until I moved and they scattered.  One remains just to the left of the center.   This tree just started blooming and must be thrilled to be getting pollinated by such a large collection of moths.
 Keeping them outside will be a challenge for the next few days.


Nice reflection. Most of the time the wind is blowing too hard and I don't get that smooth pond effect.
I see the ducks have decided to visit my side of the pond. No geese in sight. 
 This must be the avian version of "when the cat's away the mice will play."
 The geese are becoming more aggressive and territorial.
 Maybe they can find a more suitable spot where they won't be bothered by ducks.... 

And to think last year this was totally dried up...


Something has been to the water's edge...a raccoon, perhaps?

Can you spot the creature ?


That row of white checks along her jawline looks like teeth.
 Doesn't it look like she is sitting with her mouth wide open?

I think I will do some research to see if the tadpoles I rescued are the same bullfrogs as this one.

 She startled when I got too close and jumped in, only to return to the exact spot a few minutes later.
The bullfrogs were all calling last night, making a deep, echo-y " Maa-uuuu" sound.
 Sounded like a herd of cattle.



Goodnight grass, goodnight trees.
Goodnight ducks, goodnight geese (where ever you are)
Goodnight bullfrog with a toothy grin.

(With apologies to children's book  Goodnight Moon.)

4 comments:

  1. Is that your house in the 6th photo? I don't think I've ever seen pictures of it, really. I also didn't know how pretty your pond was. I'm jealous--it's cloudy, cold, windy, and SNOWING here again(but it's not sticking).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's the garage and hangar side of the house. That view is looking east. My sunset photos are mostly taken on my driveway looking toward the pond.
      Don't feel jealous...we are under a tornado watch til 9pm.

      Delete
  2. That's a good photo of the frog. Your pond looks really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Walt! I had to sneak up on her to get it.

    ReplyDelete