Saturday, May 12, 2012

Feathers and Other Fluffy Stuff

This young bird followed his mother (I think?) around the yard.  She systematically plucked insects from the grass,  repeatedly demonstrating for him, but he just wasn't ready to feed himself even though he was big enough to fly.
Too bad they don't just jump into your open mouth.
Here's a nice juicy bug. There's another one. Oh look. There's one by your foot. See how easy it is?

Kids!


This thrush hides in the wisteria and surprises me. Today he is on top of the neighbor's pine tree.

King of the World


As soon as he left, a robin (not Eileen) took his position as lookout.

This is one of the few remaining pines in the area. Most around here have died off.


Giant dandelions are making giant puffballs...



Compare this one, the size of my hand....

to the regular sized puffballs.







I heard quite a racket and followed the noise to a tree occupied by this bird.



He was dueling it out with these neighbors.



And this is why he was being so aggressive....


There is a little bit of everything in here.

This is a new construction.  Someone has been busy!


And here she is!
Mother Kingbird looking rather pleased with herself.



Standing watch over the nest....



I managed to get a peek into the barn swallows' nests on my back porch. There are a few improvements on last year's nests.  All of them have fluffy linings, apparently courtesy of the neighbor's white ducks.  Since they are so close to the ceiling, it is hard to get a good photo, but at least we can see the eggs in this one haven't hatched yet.

The feathers are a sweet addition.


So it seems we are awaiting the arrival of many new chicks.  I do love spring time!

2 comments:

  1. I love the feathered nest, it looks so dainty and ladylike. The other nest looks quite deep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how that mother bird feels. Love the nests.

    ReplyDelete