Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Unexpected, Uninvited

I get the mail every day. My mailbox is in plain view of my driveway. I pass by this several times a day, each time I leave the house. So I am not sure how this dandelion appeared between the mailboxes about 3 feet tall.  I swear it wasn't there yesterday.
This is one of the GIANT dandelions that grow here.  They make softball-sized fluff balls after they bloom. One year Mother and I collected some from the roadsides, sprayed them with hairspray, and she took them home with her. We also spray-painted some. I was amazed that they made it back to her house without coming apart.

 Today I also noticed  mulberries on my darned mulberry tree. The original tree is on the north side of my house, but every flowerbed around all four sides of my house have or have had mulberry trees growing in them. I am constantly on mulberry tree patrol because one day they are ten inches tall, and the next thing you know, they are ten feet tall.

I overlooked this one. And for some reason, it has mulberries that are more ripe.
It had dark purple mulberries on it, but I ate them.  I guess I see why the birds love them.

On my daily yard patrol I discovered this allium just beginning to bloom.  The strange part is, I haven't had any allium  for about ten years. 


And I have no idea where these came from either. I haven't planted any bulbs in here for years.

I did plant this iris, but it was years ago, and I don't remember seeing it the last few years.  Am I just losing my memory?
 I am happy to see it though.

I get so tired of the wind.  So do the flowers.  My peonies have been beaten to pieces.


This almost looks like a time lapse video, but it is just the wind whipping the roses around. It's amazing that the petals have stayed on.



 
  You can imagine what the flowers go through on the REALLY windy days. 



This is Eileen,  my one legged Robin. 
 She was standing on the stump of a pine tree, just singing her heart out but I think that she was actually giving the barn swallows some grief.  They are the bullies of the yard and don't like to share the area.  I would take robins over barn swallows any day. 

As you can see, it is time to mow AGAIN...

2 comments:

  1. Awww...we've got a robin that wakes us up between 6 and 7 every morning tapping on the basement windows.
    It was even doing it during the rain yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you didn't pull it up, take a photo of the giant dandelion when it fluffs.

    ReplyDelete