Friday, May 4, 2012

Perfect Evening

Someone must have ordered perfect weather for today.  The temperature was warm, just shy of hot, and the sky was bright and clear. There was almost no wind.  I was ready to pull out my kayak and hit the water.   Instead, I pulled out the lawn mower and spent two and a half hours mowing. I mowed extra carefully because I knew we had baby bunnies in the yard.  I saw two of them run to safety.
 All I could think of the whole time was how much it felt like summer instead of the beginning of May. 

After I finished mowing, I took my stroll around the yard. On the back porch, I noticed this hosta from Dortha's yard has survived the winter here and looks pretty good.


Here is that blasted mulberry (bush) tree. I'm still on the lookout for the monkey and the weasel...

Eileen, my one-legged robin, has been following me around the yard.
She hops everywhere I go.  

This is our Goodbye Tree.
Friday would wait for us here under the tree whenever we left the house. She would be there when we returned. We thought she stayed there all day until one time we caught her racing to the tree when she saw us coming home in my red truck. Busted!



Eileen is still with me, singing her robin song.

Here's a sweep across part of my yard.




This is a willow tree I have been wanting to cut down for years.  It just won't die.

This one is even more determined to outlast me. It's just barely hanging on...


Out of the shadows on this side of the trees.  The light was nice on the pond.


This pond belongs to the duck family.
 

The hill on the right is the perfect place to go sledding in the winter. It's higher than it looks here. 
We go down the back side into another field, not down this side to the pond.
 It's not our field, but the owner lives in another state so we claim it when we have snow.
 That piece of land is for sale now.  I wish we could buy it and keep it undeveloped. 



A red bellied woodpecker was tap-tap-tap-tapping on a dead willow tree by my pond. 



After a few moments, Mrs. Red Belly shows up, sounding an alarm.


Mr. Red Belly gets a closer look at the troublemaker.


 It seems we are having a stare-down.
I believe he is trying to hypnotize Red with these freaky eyes!

Time will tell who moves in and stays for a while.
The pond is big enough for everybody anyway.


Eileen says the more the merrier.
Even a one legged robin can find true love on a perfect evening.





3 comments:

  1. I love it...everything looks so green. Did you tell Mother to send you photos of her jet-skiing so you can blog about it? I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see a windmill every day from my yard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wait. I don't have a yard. :(

    ReplyDelete