Saturday, December 29, 2012

Another Little House on the Prairie

The scenic route between home and Manhattan has a few farms that intrigue me.
Little remains of this one. 
The roofs were still attached when I started watching two and a half years ago. 


 The crooked hanging door was swinging in the wind and banging on the side of the barn.
 It was a little eerie since no one was anywhere around. 
The foundation looks like the native limestone from this area. 

Poor windmill. Poor silo. Where did your tops go?


 No idea what this was.

I had to walk down past the barn to get a shot of what remains of the house. I wish I had seen it when it was new.  I wonder who lived here and what happened to them.
 It felt just as lonely as it looks.


  From here I could see a roof top further behind the house.  Was it a storm cellar or just the roof of another collapsed building up the hill?
 
 Did a family live on this farm? Where are they now? I wish someone could tell me about how much fun it was to grow up here. I would have had a little garden, and maybe some miniature donkeys along with the cattle. And several dogs to keep an eye on the place.

I bet Laura Ingalls would recognize it.
 
 

2 comments: