Sunday, May 26, 2013

Wandering the Back Roads

I'll be honest. Almost all of the roads around here could be classified as back roads because most of the roads in this county are not paved.
 Sometimes we come upon something worthy of another look, like this farm with wild turkeys.
There were eight of them, just meandering around, paying no attention to the 
huge catfish heads stuck up on the fence posts...
I am not familiar with the reasoning behind this gruesome tradition 
 You can just make them out on the posts.
Ick.  I will spare you any further photos of them. You are welcome.

We discovered the Sutton Cemetery just down the road a bit. It was sad to see that  sisters Rebecca Jane and Margaret O'Dell Osborn died just a day apart. 
Their parents are buried nearby.

William Reavis was born in 1798. I wonder how he wound up in Kansas?
I just found a story about him. His second wife convinced him to move here from Indiana.

 
We could barely see a river bank running parallel to the road. Finally it twisted and turned until it crossed our road.  
 Whitewater River.

Wouldn't you like to see inside this old house?
Or maybe just paint it?


 Was this horse posing for us?

  



 We came across a big flock of  guinea hens. Or something related to guineas...  Here are the last two of them. They scattered pretty quickly...

This day of wandering was about over, and as luck would have it, my camera died right
after this shot of green wheat waving in the wind. 
Suddenly it feels like summer!

2 comments:

  1. I've seen a couple more cemeteries we can go to. That catfish thing is weird--sounds like something they'd do around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spring and summer pass so quickly where you and D live. I expect to see fall colors any day now. I love cemeteries and old houses. Turkeys not so much.

    ReplyDelete